Monday, December 29, 2014

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a Blessed New Year

I hope everyone has had a great holiday season so far. I know my Christmas was amazing, and the break is still going strong.

Thankfully, I was able to spend some time with my grandparents and aunt. They actually all came into town for R.J.'s birth, but missed out on J.T.'s birth, so it was my aunt's first time meeting him, and he charmed her as he does everyone.

It's also been nice to have two weeks to spend time with the boys and my wife. Teaching may have it's downsides, but the amount of time I get to spend with my family just can't be beat.

The boys were over-blessed with toys from all the grandparents. Seriously, my Jeep looked like Santa's sleigh and every bump we went over made every single noise making toy go off in a cacophony of catchy tunes and animal noises.

The new year is quickly approaching and I'm am doing something I've never done before: New Years Resolutions. Or goals, really. In any case, I've been spending the past couple of weeks, looking at what I would like to accomplish in 2015. I won't share the whole list here, though I may a brief overview, in a New Year's post; but I will say the whole process is invigorating.

I scoffed at the idea of New Year's Resolutions. I could never wrap my head around writing down these lofty statements, that wouldn't last a week. The running joke was: "My New Years Resolution is to have no resolutions." But I think my point of view on this changed when I began to consider goal orienting my life.

My family has often accused me of having a jellyfish mentality. And I do in a sense. Now, this can be a gift, setback don't upset me as much as they do other people, and it can also be a curse, I have little drive, no clear "goal".

So I decided I would work on that inherent weakness, I would set goals, manageable goals, and do my best in 2015 to accomplish them.

I thought this would be an incredibly boring task, and one that would "constrain" my creativity. I was proved pleasantly wrong.

I found it to be invigorating, and it actually sparked my creativity. Writing down the goal "Get Published" began to get the brain storm going on how I could make that happen: Short story? Article for an education publication? Self-publish?  

What I've found is that goal setting gives my creativity a path. It focuses it so that I can best utilize that energy. It's comparable to what happens to light when it is focused in a laser beam. Without the focus it is just ambient lighting, put the right lens on it, however, and it can really start a fire.

Now, I just need to do whatever it takes to accomplish those goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment